Friday, March 19, 2010

Career Quest Reference Letters

Preparing Reference Letters

You may be asked to provide letters of reference or you may want to do this without being asked. I have always tried to ask for a letter of recommendation after resigning from a current position. Of course you can only do this if you are leaving in good standing and feel you have done an excellent job. Hopefully this is the case. You never want to burn a bridge. You may never know when you will need that employer somewhere down the road.

If you ask for a letter of recommendation and they do agree to provide you with one, make sure they do this before your last day on the job. A simple reminder a couple of times and I'm sure they will promptly do it for you.

You might also consider sending letters to every past employer you can think of asking them to send you a letter of recommendation. Be thoughtful in the composition of your letter. Take a moment to refresh their memory about who you are and when you worked for them. Compliment them and thank them for the job they did while they were your supervisor.

Explain to them that you are currently looking for a new work opportunity and would like for them to send you a letter or recommendation. Be sure you send them a self-addressed-stamped-envelope so that it is easy for them to respond and doesn't cost them postage.

Some companies forbid or prohibit the employees or HR department from giving out references. If this is the case ask anyway and if they state company policy then ask the HR department for a document on company letterhead at least stating the dates you worked there and the position you held. All companies, even if they do not provide references, usually do give out dates of employment and confirmation of position held.

One valuable tool I learned about rather late in my career is what some industries call the 'Brag Book' or 'At-A-Boy/Girl Book'. This is a book that you would compile throughout your life. It would consist of every type of award or recognition letter you have ever received. Some brag books contain sales numbers and figures and the increases, reference letters, awards certificates, thank you cards, memos and e-mails and annual evaluations. Here again, the thicker the brag book, the more accomplished it is assumed you have been.

Once I learned of this tool, I immediately began relocating all types of awards, letter of recognition, etc. that I had gained over the last several years. Since then I have put everything in that book that is what I call a 'pat on the back' to me. I even ask for letters of recommendation now. If I have someone tell me what a wonderful job I have done, I thank them and then ask them if they would write me a letter stating that fact so that I may put it in my brag book. I've never been turned down. If you really did a good job for them, they are usually more than welcomed to do that small favor for you.

When it is time for my annual evaluation each year, I take any letters, e-mails or memos which I have received through the course of the past year, make copies of them and send them along with a letter to my manager which highlights what I have accomplished since my last evaluation.

Nancy Jackson, daydreamer extraordinaire

DAY JOB LINKS...
Dreams Do Come True
Dragonfly In Amber Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment