Friday, June 26, 2015

Buffet Mirror

I've been changing some things out in our dining room which is open to my entryway.  Since we moved into our new home 3+ years ago the dining room has been a hodge podge of stuff.  At our other home I had a few pieces of cream and white which I dearly loved and used them here, but there were other things and colors and stuff here and there that you could not see just how beautiful those pieces and colors were.

Old dining room in our previous home.




Here is our dining room at our old house.  I loved how cozy and perfect the decor was.  But it was so small and a little too cozy.  But the blue items on the dining table and nook were the perfect accent to the red, gold and black.

Here are pics of our new dining room right after we first moved in.


Entryway where the buffet is located.  To the right is the dining room  You can see the mirror which this blog is about over the buffet.  Also if you squint just right you can see Mo & Po Do (the blue and cream busts) on the buffet.  There is a cute long story regarding my now 18 yr old grandson and why those busts are called Mo & Po Do, but that's another story.


The dining room.  To the left is the entryway. 


A view of the dining room from the entryway, or standing in front of the buffet.  See the blue and cream candlesticks and compote (behind the chair).


Now on to today's project.  Here is that burgundy mirror which is above the buffet.



The trim is accented in gold and silver with a heavy emphasis on the gold.  What I wanted to do was paint the burgundy blue and add more silver so them emphasis was more silver than gold.


Here are the paints I used.  I did not use the pearl white though.  Had a plan but changed the plan mid-stream.


Put some blue on a little disposable plate.


And started painting.



Mirror with only the blue on.  See how gold the trim looks?


Taped off the mirror.



Put some silver paint on a new plate and took a little stippling or stencil brush and dabbed some paint off.


And started dabbing over the gold.


Here it is with a portion done.


And here it is completely done!  The dabbing went on forever...  and ever... and ever!!!  But oh so worth it!!!





And that is the finished product and how it looks on the buffet now.  There is still some gold peaking through and I love that!  I didn't want it to be just flat silver with no interest.  I've moved Mo & Po Do to one of the built-in cabinets.  I moved the candlesticks from the table to the buffet.  Here is my dining table now.



The greenery arrangement in the blue compote is now on the pillar in the corner and three new silver vases are on the new table runner I just made.  To see that project click here.


One built-on where Mo & Po Do now live.


The other built-in.  I am loving the new blue and cream and how it is coming together.  I have a plan for a grand wall art project to replace the painting.  I have another awesome home planned for it.

Hope you enjoyed this and keep checking back for more re-dos!!

Happy creating!!

Nancy Jackson, daydreamer extraordinaire
DAY JOB LINKS...
Dreams Do Come True
Dragonfly In Amber Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment