Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Progress



Recently I posted pictures of my backyard in 2005 when it was at one of the most beautiful points since owning this property. I also spoke of how I hadn't been as dilligent to keep it up and that a lot of work needed to be done to 'restore' it to its former glory.

Well as I promised, I am keeping you guys posted on my progress.  I worked for two solid days cleaning and planting in one half of the backyard.  It is the part of the yard that we spend the most time in and the part that makes the first impression when someone walks out of the backdoor.

I still need to do the other half.  I can hardly bear to walk over to that other side.  The lack of attention over the past few years doesn't just taunt me, but screems 'neglect' as loud as it can.

I am determined to conquer it and not just restore it to its former glory but to take it above and beyond.

The picture above was taken at an angle where I could get as many of my creeping phlox in the pictue as possible.  I love to see them in full bloom and they won't last but for a short time.  This year I also planted more of them so that hopefully next year the will be all along the entire wall.

As I was planting a week or so ago I was contemplating as usual.  Each year I try to buy both annuals and perenials.  I hope to one day be able to just plan a few annuals and have the perenials keep the flowerbeds full.

I've had a few perenials die that I have had to replace and I've taken out some that the previous owner had planted that I found to be horrible!  So sometimes it feels like I make three steps forward and one or two steps back.  Slow progress.

I also feel like that in my personal life sometimes.  I greatly desire to become the person that God has designed me to be.  I know I cannot change overnight but it is a gradual cleansing process and building process that only time spent in a relationship with Christ and the word can achieve. 

But I must admit that I get restless having to wait for the seasons to change so I can once again dive in and start to make changes. I know that to make changes born of my own striving will quickly die when winter comes.  Only changes initiated and nurtured under God's direction and instruction will flourish.

I am NOT a winter person.  But without the winter there would not be as much rest in the building process.  I do not work outside in the winter.  I sit by the fireplace and just leave to God all that I worked so hard on in the spring.  And only the new spring will tell what survive and what died.

Each new spring I build on what I did the year before.  But even though some things may not have survived, all things do not die and I see that there is forward motion and progress.  I love what Joyce Meyer says, "I may not be all that I should be, but thank God I am not what I used to be."  Excuse me Joyce if I did not quote that exact.

My garden will never be perfect.  There will always be things to change, tweek and make better - just like me.

Another view of the plox

An azalia around at the untended side of the yard.

New plox and other plants.

This Japanese Maple didn't get hit by a frost this year.  Outstanding red velvet color!

My planter that used to be a birdbath.

More plox and a couple of pots.

Another azalia.  Don't look close.  There are a lot of weeds to pull.

Path on the east side of the house.  I added the little black fence this year to keep the plants safe from being trampled.

The other part of the path.

I change the colors each year.  I guess this year it is jewel tones!  My grandson Braxton helped pick.

Nancy Jackson, daydreamer extraordinair

DAY JOB LINKS...
Dreams Do Come True
Dragonfly In Amber Designs
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - love the phlox! Are we sitting out here Saturday after dinner? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we can sit out here Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Patio is booked this Saturday for men's night out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yard, the pots, the flowers! Its all so beautiful. You need to have a girls night out in that yard. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete