Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Career Quest Story of Talents

Story of Talents in a Different Light

Matthew 25:14-30 KJ For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. (15) And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one: to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. (16) Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them five other talents. (17) And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. (18) But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. (19) After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. (20) And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. (21) His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of the lord. (22) He also that had received two talents came and said, two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. (23) His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of the lord. (24) Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou are an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: (25) And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. (26) His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed. (27) Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. (28) Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. (29) For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. (30) And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.



You have just read the parable of the talents. There are many many lessons to be learned within this parable. Of course in the parable the word talent is a form of money used in biblical times. How fitting it is that this word is interchangeable with the word which Webster's describes as, 'personal ability'.


Each servant was given a measure of talents. The measure was based on his ability, or skills. From there the three servants were left to their own devices to do with the talents as they chose.


The first servant used the five talents to multiply them into ten talents. The second servant did the same and doubled his talents. It was apparent to these two that these talents were given to them to use. They did so without fear and with confidence.


They knew, just as the third servant did, that the master was harsh and they could have suffered severally had they lost or reduced the talents given to them. They had a lack of 'fear of failure' and a strong confidence that they could increase the talents given to them.


Many years ago when I was in my early twenties, my mother-in-law taught me how to decorate cakes. She also held classes for others to come and learn how to decorate cakes and she didn't charge anyone anything. She would just say, "God has given me this talent and I want to share it and help others learn. He has freely given it to me, so I will freely give to others."


She wasn't decorating cakes and giving them away for free, but she was helping people develop a skill and possibly uncover a talent to decorate cakes, thus multiply her talent. She taught so many people to decorate cakes that it would be impossible to try and determine just how many times that talent was increased or doubled.


From that time on, everything I learned to do, I was more than willing to share with others. I have given of my services freely as well as train others. Through the years I have been continually uncovering new talents I never knew I had. By applying the principle of the talents to my life, my own talents have increased phenomenally.


People are constantly asking me, "How did you learn to do so many things?" The answer is that I have freely given what God has given to me, multiplying my talents and skill in others. Because of this, God has been faithful, just as the master in the parable and he has given me much more.


Seeing this principle acting in my life through the years has helped me to gain tremendous confidence. I honestly believe that I can tackle anything. If I need or want to do something and haven't had the training or the talent previously, I believe that I can learn and God will develop within me a talent to do it.


My confidence does not rest or reside in my own abilities or myself. It relies on the fact that I have seen God's hand in my life. I have seen him bring to pass what he said he would do. I have confidence in him and his word.


The third servant was so fearful that he buried his talent and did absolutely nothing with it. He could have done the mere minimum and placed the talent in the bank and let it at least draw interest, but he didn't. He was paralyzed by the 'fear of failure'.


As I mentor others and coach them in the steps of success, the number one thing I find is that there are many people who are tremendously paralyzed by the 'fear of failure'. They are so terrified of failing or doing the wrong thing that they do nothing.


This servant was only given one talent to begin with. In the parable it said that the master gave the servants talents based on their abilities or skills. We must assume from this that the servant had few skills or abilities, but he must have had some skills or he wouldn't have gotten any talents.


Had he just done the minimum and put the talent into the bank to draw interest, which we know returns very little and certainly wouldn't have doubled the talent, he would have pleased his master. Are you doing at least the minimum with the talent that God has given you?


If you are convinced that you possess no talents, then maybe you need to gain some skills. If I read the parable correctly the two are linked together. If I had never taken the class from my mother-in-law on cake decorating to gain some skills in that area, I would have never uncovered my talent to decorate cakes.


I promise that when you begin to go to classes and learn skills in areas where you have an interest, you will begin to uncover talents in your life. Use them freely and wisely and God will begin to multiply them.


When filling out the worksheet, do not just list talents and skills that you feel an employer might be looking for. Ask your friends and family to help you determine your talents and skills. They may see something you don't. List all your skills and talents on the worksheet provided.
Skills Worksheet

Use this page to make a list of skills that you feel you possess.
Skills gained from Skills gained from
       work experiences                    personal experiences


____________________                   ____________________


____________________                   ____________________


____________________                   ____________________


Talents Worksheet
____________________                   ____________________


____________________                   ____________________


____________________                   ____________________


Nancy Jackson, daydreamer extraordinaire

DAY JOB LINKS...
Dreams Do Come True
Dragonfly In Amber Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment